Learn About Zoho CRM's New HIPAA Compliance Settings
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires healthcare providers and some businesses to protect health information that can identify an individual. Zoho CRM provides features to help its customers use CRM within the premises of HIPAA compliance. Zoho was assessed by a third party and identified to support HIPAA compliance.
Below, we will provide you an overview of the control options in place that enable Zoho customers to be compliant with HIPAA. Additionally, Zoho will set up a standard Business Associate Agreement, to be signed with the customer upon request.
HIPAA Compliance Settings in Zoho CRM
Enable HIPAA compliance
CRM administrators can manage these settings in the Setup menu following these steps:
- Go to Setup > Users and Controls > Compliance Settings.
- Click the HIPAA Compliance tab.
- Toggle the Enable HIPAA Compliance Settings button.
- Select up to 10 modules from the dropdown list.
- You may select custom modules along with default modules.
Depending on your team's requirements, you can activate any or all of the following options for restricting access to personal data (in order in the picture below):
- You can prevent personal health information (PHI) from being shared with other Zoho apps like Desk, Projects, Campaigns, or Analytics.
- You can limit sharing PHI with Outlook, Microsoft Office 365, Slack, Google Contacts, Salesforce, or any other third-party apps you have integrated with your CRM.
- You can prevent other applications, whether Zoho or a third-party, from fetching or editing data through API calls.
- You can exclude PHI data fields from being exported, whether as raw data backups or as reports.
Designate your HIPAA compliant fields
You can also select up to 25 fields in each module to be HIPAA compliant with these steps:
- Go to Setup > Customization > Modules and Fields.
- Select a module and the desired layout.
- Go to the desired field and click the More Options icon.
- Click Edit Properties and check the Contains Personal Health Data box.
- This option will only appear for modules that are designated as HIPAA compliant.
Need Help with Your Zoho CRM?
At AspenTech CRM, we meet your customer data challenges head-on. We address every issue you might have with your CRM – whether it involves selection, technology, training, or process – and create a manageable plan. We then work with you to implement that plan so you can use your CRM to its fullest potential, giving you a 360° view of your customers – and your business. Contact us or call 866-880-4228 to start a conversation with one of our CRM experts.