Simple Tips for Keeping your Act! Outlook Integration Running Smoothly
More and more we expect all our gadgets and programs to interact. We sign up for services using Facebook or Google accounts. We use our cell phones for our banking. We expect these integrations to work well and consistently. However, from time to time there are issues that crop up. Here are some simple tips for keeping your Act! and Outlook integrations working smoothly.
Never Ignore The “Yellow Bar”
Just got into office? Got hot things to do? Outlook opens and has a yellow bar at top with a warning. It’s so temping to ignore it! But please don’t ignore it or you may disable your Act! Outlook integration (or other program integrations).
Microsoft knows that you are in a rush to open your programs and it’s their logo you’re staring at while waiting. Their solution? Turn of add-ins that make it load slower, including Act!. When they do this, a yellow bar will appear after you log in. Don’t ignore it. Always click the “View Disabled Add-ins” button. When the pop-up window appears, click “Always enable this add-on.” Now, you have told Outlook to never disable your Act! Outlook integration. Note – next time you reinstall or upgrade your Act! or Outlook, there is a possibility of this happening again so be on the lookout… and never ignore the yellow bar.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Microsoft released a Windows update in early October 2018. This update now will inactivate any Outlook add-in that takes more than 1 second to load. This will drastically increase the probability of Outlook disabling your Act! add-in. In addition to this, Microsoft also changed the setting so you cannot permanently allow the add-in going forward; you can only approve it for 30 days at a time. We highly suggest all Act! users become familiar with this process and educate your other coworkers.
Act! Outlook Add-on Crashed Outlook
From time to time, programs crash for various reasons. When an add-in causes Outlook to crash, it often automatically disables it. To force Outlook to allow the add-in again do this:
- Go to Outlook File Menu > Options > Add-ins & Manage: Select Disabled Items.
- If your Act! Add-in (or another service you want) is in the list, highlight it and select Enable.
Keep Your Unattached Email Queue Empty
Note - This only applies to users that have not updated to Act! version 20.1
The Act! Outlook integration automatically records histories for out-going emails based on matching emails on an Act! record. So what happens if there’s not a contact in Act! with that email address? In these cases, Act! creates a queue of unattached emails for you to review from time to time. If you ignore this queue for too long, they could build up and cause the integration to run slowly or stop working altogether. To access this queue:
- On your main monitor’s task bar there is an icon in the system tray. This is usually near the date and time. There should be an icon, a white envelope with a red x.
- Click on that icon to open the queue to manage your unattached emails.
- There are many options, but if you want to remove them all fast, just highlight a bunch and select “Remove.”
Update to Act! Version 20.1
There are many great features rolled out in Act! version 20. However, one of the great features in the v20.1 release was a completely brand-new technology for how Act! interacts with Outlook for email history recording, contact and calendar synchronizations. How you interact with Act! and Outlook is the virtually the same. It’s the background technology that has been improved. Our customers have found a great improvement after upgrading. Some highlights include:
- Brand new contact and calendar sync technology for Outlook and Gmail
- Brand new email history recording technology for Outlook
- Quick Actions within Outlook allow you to record emails to Act! history from the inbox and sent folder, auto-record emails to Act! history when emails are sent or bulk sync emails to Act! history
- Mail merge has been redesigned, providing the capability to include images in your communications, whether you’re using new or existing templates
- Control your sync schedule with additional options – manually, daily, at a set time, at set increments, when your computer starts and in real-time
Not using Act! v20.1?
If you are not currently using Act! v20.1 and would like to upgrade, please feel free to contact us. At AspenTech CRM, we meet these challenges head-on. We address every issue you might have with your CRM – whether it involves selection, technology, training, or process – and create a manageable plan. We then work with you to implement that plan so you can use your CRM to its fullest potential, giving you a 360° view of your customers – and your business. Call 866-880- 4228 to start a conversation with one of our CRM experts.