Recent updates from Microsoft have caused problems with the Act! integration with Outlook 2016. This problem is present in Outlook version 16.0.6965.2058 or later. (To confirm your version, in Outlook, go to File, then Office Account, then About Outlook.) Note that Microsoft does rolling updates of MS Office. You may not have yet received this update, but will later this year.
There are multiple symptoms of the problem, including:
- Act! / Outlook Contacts & Calendar synchronization crashes
- Act! crashes when clicking on an email address
- The Email System Setup wizard in Act! does not show Outlook as an option
- In Event Viewer, you see “The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception” for the Act.Integration.exe application
- Act.Integration.exe crashes on startup or you get “Act.Integration.exe has stopped working”
We know that Act! users rely heavily on the integration between Act! and Outlook and the good news is that there’s a very simple solution to this problem. Act! and Microsoft are also working for a long-term fix.
Follow the steps below for affected systems or see http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38580 for more details and additional troubleshooting steps.
1) Ensure Act! and all Office applications are closed (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
2) Browse to one of the following locations, depending on whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit:
- 32-bit OS: C:\Program Files\Act\Act for Windows\
- 64-bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Act\Act for Windows\
3) Locate adal.dll, right-click and rename to adal.old
4) Open Act!, Outlook and test the integration components which were previously failing
Act! Release Updates and Schedules
If you were impacted by the recent Outlook 2016 issue, we’re happy to let you know that Act! has released an update that resolves this issue. Below is the release schedule by Act! version. Please visit the Act! Download Center to access your update on its release date:
- Act! v19.2 Update 2: Thursday, June 29th
- Act! v19.1 Update 5: Friday, June 30th
- Act! v19.0 Update 7: Friday, July 14th
- Act! v18.2 Update 6: Friday, July 14th
Help Prevent Act!-Microsoft Conflicts In The Future
Because Microsoft releases updates on an increasing frequency, to reduce risk of compatibility issues in the future, we recommend that you set your Office preferences to receive updates on the deferred channel. For more on what this means, and instructions on how to change your preferences, click here.
Being on an active Act! subscription is the best way to continue to receive critical updates to protect your product from newly introduced compatibility issues when Microsoft and other business platform providers release updates.
For more help troubleshooting Outlook Integration issues, view all related Knowledgebase articles on the Outlook Integration Troubleshooting page.
If you would like any first-hand assistance in troubleshooting and correcting these issues, please contact us at 866-880-4228 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For those on active Act! subscriptions, you may also contact Act! directly at 866-873-2006 for no cost help desk support included in your plan.